The original village of Thiepval was totally destroyed during the War when it was a German stronghold.
The Thiepval Memorial to the Missing of the Somme honors the men who died in the Battle of the Somme and who have no known grave.
The work of the architect Sir Edwin Lutyens. this monument of brick and stone is 45 meters (50 yards) high. Sixteen pillars are engraved with the names of 73,367 British and Commonwealth soldiers who fell during the Battle of the Somme between July and November 1916 and who have no known grave.